While we waiting for our International Travelers/Tourists market to visit our beautiful country
Yesterday we (IPTGSA: THE INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL TOURIST GUIDES OF SOUTHERN AFRICA) met with GATOA( GAUTENG TOUR OPERATORS ASSOCIATION) together with JOBURG TOURISM, embarked on some site inspections in Soweto.
The aim was to discover other sites that can be considered when it comes to itineraries or the interest of tourists both local and international
We know Soweto as a Tourist destination that has been visited by local and international tourists to see it and learn more about our history most particular about the Apartheid regime and life of the Sowetan/ township as well as the current development taking place in Soweto since the end of Apartheid
What we discovered is that there more than Soweto can offer apart from history and depressing stories. We found few places of interests among them are:÷
1. SOWETO COUNTRY CLUB, that is 18 hole and open to the public and they will be happy to welcome our International tourists/visitors either as "players " or to either Enjoy lunch and drinks, as well as they are willing to host any event of a customer choice.
2. ROBBY PLACE RESTAURANT: is not far from Soweto County club, another Eatery option while in Soweto, what is interesting about Robby is that they only cater for Tour groups/ individuals Groups. bookings need to be made well in advance. TOUR OPERATORS/TRAVEL AGENTS this needs to be taken into consideration especially now with covid19 regulations.
3. JUST BADELA RESTAURANT: this restaurant is located in Soweto (Orlando west), we all love and like Famous VILAKAZI STREET restaurants the likes of Sakhumzi restaurant, Restaurants Vilakazi, next dor, and Vuyos restaurants and others, but JUST BADELA restaurant it is something different from the restaurants mentioned, it is a Chesanyama/braai kind of a restaurant that brings class, elegant, peace and perfect choice of music to it customers. When we talk of the cost of the meal it is so reasonable and also willing to offer the customer what she /he prefers.
5. CREDO MUTWA CULTURAL.
- yes a cultural village in Soweto, this place educate more about our African cultures and their values.
6. SOWETO THEATER:
- who could have thought about a theater in a township, yes Soweto has one, this Theater was a 2010 project but only open its doors in 2012. For local Tourists and International tourists no need to look further when you are in Johanessburg, especially when you are a Theater person. They have a number of interesting shows line up, what caught my attention was the May 2021 show(Isandlwana lecture from 26-30 May 2021).
Thank you Joburg Tourism for joining us, as well as GATOA for making it possible. Not forgetting
Johan van Biljon for making his vehicle available for us, we know it been a year without work
ALL PLACES VISITED WERE COMPLYING WITH COVID19 PROTOCOLS
TOURISM INDUSTRY IS BADLY AFFECTED GLOBALLY DUE TO COVID19, THAT LEFT MANY COMPANIES EITHER SHUTTING DOWN, LAYING OFF STAFF, OR RETRENCHING. AND TOURIST GUIDES/TRAVEL AGENTS /TOUR CONSULTANTS NOT BEEN ABLE TO RESUME WORK NOR EARNING INCOME AS RESULTS OF JOB LOSSES
Our aim as IPTGSA is to keep the spirit of guiding alive while we aim to make the best guides out of our Educationals. 1
To all my colleagues please visit IPTGSA websites to learn more about the institution.
WE WILL TRAVEL AGAIN SOON
1)Museum Africa: Zola Mtshiza Mobile 083 417 1022 email: [email protected]
2)Robby’s Place: Robbie Letsholo Mobile 082 865 6429 Mapule Letsholo 084 612 5791 email: [email protected]
3)Soweto Country Club: Justice Matshaya Mobile (PRO) 073 365 4579 & 060 743 6682 Email: [email protected]
4)Soweto Theatre: Didimalang Sole 011 930 7461/2/3 Mobile 083 703 4363 [email protected]
5)Just Badela : Dumile Badela 083 425 6283 011 982 1171 managers Juma 083 537 7766 Benji 061793 6819 www.justbadela.co.za